“Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing” -Camille Pissarro
We often live life in the fast lane looking in one direction without much thought to the blur of images we pass by – the distant sound of laughter from neighboring kids, the sweet song of a bird in the early morning, the swaying of vibrant flowers in a deserted field and the majestic colors of a beautiful sunrise.
I created this blog to be a positive reminder of the simple beauties that surround us everyday. Sometimes it can be hard to see it when our lives are filled with monotonous routines of going to work or school or our current situation is less than ideal. But trust me – they are there! God desires that we view each day as a gift from him, cherishing the relationships that we form and being grateful for the blessings that we have.
“Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy” – 2 Nephi 2:25
Since the beginning, we were meant to have joy! That joy has to come from within us and we can build on that starting today, regardless of our circumstances. As we think about what beauties are around us and the people whose lives intertwined with ours, we start to find more purpose and meaning in life.
Tips on how you can find joy in your life this week:
- Make a conscious effort to live in the present, and have faith that the future will work itself out. What does that mean? Stop worrying so much and know that God has a plan for you!
- Focus on the things that matter most. What is it in your life that brings you the most joy? Are the things that you are pouring your time into everyday the things that matter the most to you?
- Laugh more or help make someone else laugh. Laughter is a powerful tool that helps remind you to not take life so seriously and learn to be a kid at heart. It’s okay to be a little silly.
- Help someone in need. True joy can be found when you lose yourself in the service of others. It helps put our problems into perspective and allows us to show Christ-like love to those around us.
- Find a positive outlet for your anger and frustration. Life inevitably has its ups and downs. Knowing that, we can plan for those rainy days through plan Bs (B for Bad Day) such as exercising, dancing, hanging out with loved ones, painting or drawing, reading the bible, or writing our thoughts in a journal.
- Listen to positive music. Music speaks to the soul in ways we often times can’t understand. Let it brighten up your day!
- Make a habit of praying daily. Similar to writing in a journal, talking to our Creator can help us grow closer to him as we thank him for the blessings we have and petition for the things we stand in need of. The answers to our prayers may not come immediately or in the way we envisioned but trust me – he is listening!
How can I make more of a conscious effort to take time to pause and appreciate the beauty that is around me and find happiness in the small and simple things?